'Inspiration doesn't descend like a lightning bolt from the gods. Inspiration comes instead from a steady breath, a solid foundation, and a commitment to the process. From a grounded breath, freedom blooms. From a grounded breath, your stories and poems can dance themselves awake on the page.'
Laraine Herring, from 'Writing begins with the breath.'
I am very interested to discover that the etymology of the word 'inspiration' is rooted in the idea of breathing. A stereotype of artists of all types conjures up the tortured soul, waiting for inspiration to come and grasp them and shake them into creative motion. But it's an interesting question this - whether inspiration comes from without or within.
I don't doubt that there have been people over the years for whom the source of inspiration has come from some outward divinities. I remember hearing a wonderful story about a writer many years ago in deep South America - I forget the name - who was gripped by a physical presence of words that tumbled into her, almost like a giant ball of ideas and inspirations. And she just had to run, run, run as fast as her legs could carry her, in from the fields to get a pencil so she could write the words down, before the huge ball of energy and words was pulled out from the other side of her and would continue its journey till it found someone else. A fabulous story, but pretty rare! For many people who follow a creative path, inspiration comes more often from that still, quiet place within us. And as the breath anchors us to the present moment, there is so much that it can teach us.
I've just started reading the book that I took the quote above from, and I'm interested to see where it will take me and my writing (not that I'm actually getting round to doing any writing at the moment - grrrr! - but I'm thinking about it ALOT!)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment :)