Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Book nests and publishing success



I bought this gorgeous card in the V&A reading rooms the other day. I think I have fallen in love with this place. They call it a bookshop and bar and encourage people to come in, buy a glass of wine or cup of coffee and then wander round, pull out a book and take a seat on one of many chairs and sofas scattered around. A very bold move on their part I say, because they may just get someone clumsy (like moi) who sprays a dozen droplets of wine on brand new pages. But good for them, because independent bookshops need to branch out and think of these quirky ways to lure book buyers away from the big chains.

On another note, I have very happily had a short story published this week in Prole Books. I wrote this one a while ago and stubbornly kept sending it in to places despite being rejected many times, because I kinda liked it. And I'm pleased to say that being stubborn has gone my way this time. It's called 'Song of Saira', is set in 1970's London and is about the relationship between an mysterious Afghan refugee and a young photographer who discovers the Afghan girl through a photograph.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)