Goodbye 'In the shade of the orange tree'?
Still sending my novel off to people. Yes, still. And still receiving a steady trickle of rejection letters. One nameless agent pointed out that they are only taking on new writers they consider to be very special indeed. Ouch! It's starting to feel kind of personal here! Ok, ok, I know I need to be thick-skinned about all this (who was it after all that said 'Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration?) and keep believing in my novel but this belief is definitely wavering a little at the moment. In fact, time to come clean. Here's the truth of the matter: I am SICK to the back teeth of my novel. Everything I feel about it is clouded with a sense of weariness and that's not good, because if I don't love it, how the hell can I convince anybody else to love it??
Time for a break perhaps. Maybe I need to stop sending it out to agents (though admittedly, I've only used up about 70% of my perspiration quota) and concentrate on other things. Thankfully, I've got a great little writing project up and running which will turn into Christmas presents (no more details here as family members, I know you're reading this!) and I'm really enjoying it. This isn't making me feel weary or despondent and I know it's a way of reaching out with my writing, and actually being read! So thank you, Ms Literary Agent for telling me I'm not very special, but one day - ha ha - you will rue these words!! (And even if you don't, at least I know my family is reading me. Thank you family ;))
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment :)