Refugee children arriving in Harwich, 1938
I wish I could remember the name of this person, but I can't. A few weeks ago though, I heard a lady in her mid-seventies talking on the radio about her life and her aspirations for each day. She was an amazing woman - as a Jewish child living in Europe during the second world war, she was on board the kindertransport that brought her to Britain, never to see her parents again. As a result of that ordeal, she says that each day she treats as a gift and never, ever takes her existence for granted, striving to do something amazing with every day that dawns. It's funny, but ever since I heard her words, I've thought about them regularly. How inspiring that she has turned such traumatic events from her past around, reaching out to the world and those around her.
I don't think it matters if our 'amazing act' is something tiny; even if it's a bright smile to somebody who looks miserable - we're all inter-connected one way or another and the ripple effect of that smile could permeate in deeper ways than we'll ever know. Anyway, I know I'm waxing rather lyrical here, but this lady on the radio and her words really got me thinking (oh, I wish I knew who it was so I could quote her at least!). I have led the most comfortable, privileged existence imaginable; I've never had to endure real hardship, hunger, loneliness or deprivation like so many people in this world. And yet sometimes, still, I get trapped in this safe little bubble I live in, in this cosy corner of London and find myself complaining about these 'problems' of everyday life. Really, I have nothing to complain about and everything to be thankful for. At the very least, I can strive to do something amazing with this gift of today.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment :)