Monday, 11 February 2013

Snakes and little green pigs


The other day, my son came back from nursery with a snake he had made to celebrate Chinese new year. When my eldest daughter asked me what animals we all were and I wasn't sure, she was horrified! So I've hastily rectified this situation and it turns out that this year is my year, the year of the snake. With this in mind, we joined the throngs yesterday in China Town in the bitterly cold rain to celebrate, ate some noodles, bought some firecrackers and paper dragons and finally warmed up in a cafe with hot chocolate.

Since this is 'my' year (and I didn't make any new years resolutions the first time round!), my Chinese new year resolution is to try to be more pro-active with my writing and writing-related activities. To kickstart this, on saturday I went to Brighton to help out with a creative writing workshop for teenagers. A friend of a friend has created Little Green Pig, an organisation that celebrates the power and joy of the written word with both primary and secondary age children - fantastic, so inspiring. In four years, she's built this up out of nothing and it really got me thinking, I could do something similar in Kenya. It's not enough to just have ideas, we have to get off our butts and follow them through. Let's hope this year of the snake momentum is behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)