Thursday, 25 July 2013

How children can help (and not hinder) the creative process

I'm really pleased today to have had an article published by US based writing site Women Writers on creativity and motherhood. Click here to read the article. I meant every single word that I wrote, but I must admit that now with eight weeks of summer holidays and three lively young children to entertain, I am having to employ even more creative means to carve out time for myself and my writing. 

Not long ago, I went to a talk at the school my kids go to, given by a specialist in early years education. One thing in particular that stands out from his talk was when he said that we should never, ever underestimate the importance of getting down on to the floor and really playing with our children. This may sound obvious, but the truth is that there are many times (too many times) that my kids ask me to play with them and I'm 'too busy' making their dinner or cleaning up. Something I am really trying to focus on over these holidays is not being too busy and sitting on the floor with them - and I'm not just talking about five minutes, but proper amounts of time - and really engaging with whatever they're doing. It's harder than it sounds as my mind is too often jumping ahead to what I should be doing next, rather than truly being present with them.

The other thing I am aiming for this summer is that, when I do have a little time for myself - even if it's only five minutes - using that time wisely. I am being helped in this respect by this wonderful book:


The illustrations are stunning and there are a number of mindfulness exercises which help you trust your inner wisdom and deal with stress and difficulties more wisely, compassionately and in many ways, more creatively. I love this quote on the back of the book:

'Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.'
Roger Miller, Singer / Songwriter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)