Story Jars
I have finally set the ball rolling and have given my first two sets of creative writing workshops here in Kenya (because really, I can't sit around all my life waiting for my novel to be published, can I.)
Last week I went to a suburb of Nairobi called Kiserian where, in a low-income school, I worked with two separate groups of 9 and 13 year old's who created ideas to go into story jars, brainstorming lots of characters, places and situations which served as the inspiration for stories. This week, I went to a British curriculum school (about 90% non-Kenyan) and worked with two groups of 7 year old's, using the theme of Halloween to write spooky poems (It is hugely helpful to have a 7 year old myself as I tested my workshop out on her the night before!). I loved both experiences, I really loved them. I feel like I have so many ideas and am very grateful to these two schools for essentially taking a gamble and letting me come in.
It was interesting as well to work in two such different schools because I obviously needed to think hard about subject matter relevancy to the vastly different life experiences of these children. But they all came up with some wonderful writing and now I'm just looking forward to being invited back and, hopefully, for more doors to open into other schools :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment :)