Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Writing in motion

I read recently something about the importance of finding a space of ones own in which we can write. Oh, how I dream of the day I can remove myself to a little cabin in the garden in which I can dream and write! The reality at the moment, however, is that it is impossible for me to claim such a 'space'. Every corner of my house is already spoken for, as are many of my waking hours. I know this is a common problem for many people who want to write, and it's just something that we have to get round in whichever way we are able to.

The novelist Maggie Gee apparently worked for years in the British Library and JK Rowling used her local cafe to pen her famous books. Andrew Motion writes during long distance train journeys (I rather like this, given his name) and for me, this resonates the most. I don't know why, but I often feel most inspired when I am on the move, whether this is on a bus or a train or simply walking. The poem I wrote for Women's Writing Wheel exercise number two was scribbled entirely in my mind whilst I was waling back and forth from my daughter's school. I had to keep going over the lines again and again so that I wouldn't forget them before I could get to pen and paper! (I should have learnt by now to always carry a pen!)

I'd love to hear from others about when or where they feel inspired to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)