Monday, 2 September 2013

Back to school & writing


Back in beautiful Kenya, and september often feels like a time of new beginnings, probably because of all those years of starting a new school year around now. The children go back to school tomorrow and I get my mornings back. I've started to make some enquiries about going in to schools to do creative writing workshops, but it seems it may not be as straight forward as I'd hoped, namely because of the difficulty of getting hold of a work permit and also the relevant head of literacy even agreeing to have a meeting with me. However, I'm not going to be deterred easily. I'll keep pestering until the school secretaries are fed up with me and agree to meet me. And even if nothing comes of it this way, I shall definitely go in to lower income schools and give the workshops voluntarily (am presuming they are less concerned about work permits - hope I'm not wrong there.)

I'm also really enjoying working on a short story I'm going to submit to Mslexia, the theme being 'foreign parts' so no prizes for guessing where my story is set. And, difficult a decision as it's been, I'm going to put my new novel aside for now so I can sort out In the shade of the orange tree and get it ready for e-book publication. Kindle Direct Publishing, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)