Monday, 16 September 2013

Bloody-minded persistence


'...the most significant difference between a writer and a would-be writer is simple bloody-minded persistence.' Melissa Benn

I've had a surprise full day to myself as the children have gone to a friend's house for the afternoon and I've spent the whole time (apart from writing this blog, of course) re-drafting my novel. Sometimes - actually, quite a lot - I ask myself the question why I am still working on this novel. I first had the idea for it in 2004 - that's nearly ten years ago, and here I still am, slogging over the same story, the same characters, the same words. Am I flogging that figurative dead horse to death? 

There's no real answer to that question, other than the fact that I can't let go of it. It has been rejected by countless, countless agents but despite that, I believe in it. I was very heartened to read an article in the current edition of Mslexia entitled 'Survival of the fittest,' written by writer and journalist Melissa Benn, all about just that: that if you really believe in your work, keep going. Keep re-drafting. Keep learning from rejection. What is wrong with it? How can it be improved?  It's tough, it really is, but I can't believe I won't get there.

1 comment:

  1. GRANADA FERNANDO CARO...SIGUE!!!REBEKITA CON ESA NOVELA..BESOS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)