Saturday, 20 October 2012

Memoir


Lago Atitlan, Guatemala


I know I've mentioned Mslexia before, a women's writing magazine I subscribe to and have been reading for years. I very often try to send in a piece of new writing for their quarterly submissions, with new themes each time. A different guest writer decides which stories she wants each time but blimey, is it hard to get a piece in there. I have sent countless stories off and twice reached the shortlist but never actually been accepted. I shall persevere! 

Anyway, the reason I'm writing about this is because the upcoming theme is 'memoir'. I've been scratching my head, thinking what to write about. It can be anything, something that happened yesterday, an event of your childhood or anything in between. Anything that merits a story. A significant period of my life was four months I spent in Guatemala in 2004. Most people reading this need no explanation for that, but in case you don't know, this is where I met my husband on the banks of Lago Atitlan, surely the most beautiful lake in the world. I started trying to write our story down but it kept slipping through my fingers like sand and I realised that somehow, the details of this episode (although many people know them verbally)  don't want to be shared. Not now anyway.

I kept focussing though on Guatemala and then I remembered another event out there - not romantic, not profound, just pretty bloody hilarious if I'm being honest. Humour in writing is not something I've had much practice with, but I think it's about time I give it a go. The event? Getting my mother stoned, again on the banks of Lago Atitlan. It was a mistake, I promise! But stoned she undeniably was. I hope she doesn't mind being the unfortunate heroine of my story...I don't think she reads my blog so will probably be unaware of this, at least until after it's been written. Thankfully she still finds the story as amusing as I do, so I'm sure she'll take it in good humour. And now time to knuckle down and cast my mind back to that fateful night in 2004 when George W.Bush was being re-elected, Athens was hosting the Olympic games, Facebook was being launched and my mother was - ahem - getting stoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)